President: Mr. Charles COPPOLLANI
The law of 12 May 2010 allowed the French professional competitions to online betting. The same law has also created the ARJEL, an independent administrative authority which have to regulate the three types of online gambling (pokers, sports and horseraces bets).
The activity of the ARJEL pointed out four objectives related to the Government’s public policy:
- To prevent excessive gambling, to protect players from addiction,
- To ensure the integrity, reliability and transparency of gaming operations,
- To prevent fraudulent or criminal activity and money laundering and terrorist financing,
- To ensure balanced and equitable development of different online gambling.
In this context, the ARJEL:
- Approves, authorizes and controls the online gambling operators,
- Supervises the gambling operations and contributes to struggle against illegal websites and fraud,
- Analyses the market of online gaming and its development.
In 2015, 55 people serve in their ARJEL: 24 women and 31 men with an average age of almost 40 years: three quarters are contractual employees of public law and the remaining quarter of seconded officials on contract. Three-quarters of personal fall in terms of qualification of the employment framework A Public Service.
Charles COPPOLANI was appointed President of ARJEL in February 2014 by the President of the French Republic. He chairs the College of ARJEL with 7 members, which meets every three weeks to adopt decisions within the Authority's missions.
The activity of the ARJEL is organized around three main departments (control, legal and economics). The "international relations" and "institutional relations and media" are directly linked to the Presidency.
Adress : 99-101 rue Leblanc, 75015 Paris
Tel : +33 1 57 13 13 00